We started the basement remodel in 2016. I’ve taken a lot of pictures but didn’t stay on top of blogging the project. So this series begins with a number catch-up posts.
Here is the basement floor plan as it was, at about 650 square feet total…
The bedroom/bonus space:
While the photos look OK, here are the major problems it had…
- The space was very musty and damp. It had obviously been flooded a few times. When it rained the carpet in the bedroom area became wet.
- The wooden part of the walls were below grade on the sides of the house, so water flowed in and there was some rot.
- The plumbing was badly corroded and choked off by sediment.
- The wiring was spaghetti.
- The windows leaked water and air in.
- The workmanship was poor all over.
- The circulation through the basement was via the laundry.
- The egress was not legal or safe. The window sills were way too high.
So almost everything had to come out.