I bought this sewing machine at a thrift store for $45. Much of the wood was peeling and in poor condition.
The sewing machine looked nice, but was fully seized up with rust. It wouldn’t be worth the effort to restore it – so I repurposed it.
I removed the sewing machine – I’ll do something interesting with that later.
I flipped the cabinet over and removed the base. You need a longer screwdriver to get to all the screws.
The base was in good condition, just dirty and a bit rusty.
The sides were too tall for an end table or night stand, so I cut them off right above the lugs that held the base together. I clamped a straightedge to the casting, scored it with a grinder, removed the straightedge, and finished cutting.
I used a 4 1/2″ grinder with an abrasive cut off wheel. If you do projects that involve metal, it’s a must-have tool and not very expensive.
After the cuts were done, I took everything apart and cleaned it up with a wire wheel on a grinder. I didn’t do this perfectly, I wanted a mix of patina and shiny metal.
Whenever I use a grinder, I have leather gloves and goggles on – it’s crazy not to.
Here are the parts after cleaning and being mostly reassembled. I put a small amount of grease on the bearing surfaces.
It’s really nice to work with this vintage of machine – it’s a small piece of art. The quality and fit are better than anything made today in my opinion.
I made a simple wood top from some clear 1″ pine. I edge-glued and clamped it. Once dry, I cut it to size and sanded it with 80, then 120 grit paper.
I put strips under the top so I could mount it to the lugs. I made it fit fairly tight, so I had to tap it lightly to get it over the metal. Once in place, I marked the holes for the lugs. I removed it, drilled the holes, put it back in place, and inserted the bolts.
The only thing I need to do before it goes in the house is to find some rubber caps for the feet.
Time and Money
- $45 for the machine
- About 8 hours in total